This General Secretary election shouldn't even be happening. Like a million other Unite members it came as a surprise to me and until it was announced I had no plans to stand. The election timetable makes it as hard as possible for any challenger - it is an abuse of power.
Yet since Thursday night when I announced I was standing the response has been amazing, with offers of help and support from all over the union including people I've never met. This is enabling the campaign to get up and running fast. We already have:
- A new web site: www.ian4unite.org. I'll be using that rather than this blog for the campaign, so please follow it.
- A new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ian4unite/
- A new Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ian4unite
- A way for you to donate to the campaign
- A form for you to leave details if you want to support me
- Some funky new graphics