I've posted before about the crucial workplace and branch elections currently taking place across UNITE. I'm concerned that patchy communication about these is likely to mean we end up with fewer activists than we should, weakening the crucial base of the union.
At this week's Area Activists Committee meeting I got hold of a document sent out to officers in my region, setting out the timetable beyond the current elections. I've summarised it below.
By June 2012:
Election of branch officers and workplace reps. Branch officers include Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and Equalities Officer. Workplace reps include Shop Steward (also known as workplace rep, FoC, MoC etc), Health & Safety reps, Equality Reps, Learning Reps and Environmental Reps.
The newly elected reps and branch officers take office from 1 July 2012. The default term of office is three years, but can be shorter where appropriate.
Each region should convene:
- Regional Industrial Sector Conferences
- Regional Women's Conference
- A Regional Black Asian and Ethnic Minority (BAEM) Conference
- Regional Disabled Members' Conference
- Regional Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Conference
- Regional Triennial Area Activists Meetings
- Regional Youth Conference
- Regional Retired Members' Conference
Committees meet quarterly in September, December, March and June. The June 2015 meetings would be the last for the committees elected in 2012.
The first meetings will be held of the new:
- Regional Committees
- National Equalities Committees
- National Youth Committee
- National Retired Members' Committee